Wednesday 8 October 2014

Time Machine - Doritos Super Bowl Winner 2014

Mr. Smith is in for a surprise when Jimmy invites him into the time machine.
I was watching Back to the Future with my son one day. He asked if I would build him a time machine. I found an old refrigerator box, and made one. As we played with it, the basic idea hit me -- not the full story just yet -- but the idea of a boy having a cardboard time machine, as opposed to a lemonade stand.
    Pre-production wasn't too terrible. I knew exactly what I wanted. I knew that I was going to shoot it at my parent's house, and I already had a basic shot list. I had also already done some test shoots with my son (who's actually the star of the commercial). So I painted and designed the box in our front yard. Lots of people drove by giving me the strangest looks. Someone even asked if they could buy the cardboard from me for their cardboard business.
    Then I had to cast for the Older Man and Mr. Smith. Including myself, talent, and crew there was a total of 7 of us. Location was my parent's house. The boy was my son; the dog was my dog 'Hogan.' Mr. Smith was a mutual friend that I had always wanted to work with, and the old man was local Arizona talent that I was told was a great actor and a great guy! The rumors were true!
    When it was all said and done, the budget was just under $300. ~Ryan Thomas Andersen


1 comment:

Unknown said...

A heartwarming affirmation that story trumps budget in movie making.